Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Prayer Request: Ex-NBA'er Maurice Lucas Hospitalized Again



Sad development coming out of Portland. Former NBA player and current Portland Trailblazer Assistant Coach Maurice Lucas has been hospitalized again due to a recurrence of bladder cancer. He was diagnosed with the cancer last season after complaining of weight loss and fatigue. He eventually had surgery to correct the problem, but it has returned unfortunately.

If you're wondering why I'm posting this its because my pops was a huge Maurice Lucas fan...so much that he actually named me after him. Plus Mr. Lucas is from my hometown of Pittsburgh, PA. There's still a huge poster of him hanging in the pool room/basement at the family headquarters.

I know alot of you may not know who he is, but he was the man at one point in time. Though Bill Walton is usually considered the face of the 1976-77 Blazers championship squad...Lucas is the "enforcer" that actually made it happen.

If you or anyone you know would want to, you can send Mr. Lucas letters of encouragement to this address:

One Center Court
Suite 200
Portland, Oregon 97227

2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I used to intern at SI and worked on "The Basketball Book" for them. We didn't feature the Blazers heavily (or any other particular team over the others), but I do recall Mr. Lucas' name coming up on occasion.

That's dope that you were named after him. I'll keep him in my prayers.

southpeezy said...

@!i$@ Bee

wow...i bought "The Basketball Book" for my father for christmas the year it came out...crazy...everytime go to see him he has it sitting on his table still.